God I worded my last post so badly, and then I queued it and look at the notes it got.
This post is also terribly worded. I’m in a coma-like state after working more than 12 hours straight. What am I doing here. I should be sleeping. Goodbye cruel world, it’s over…
Last week there was another truck accident. One of those trucks that carry animals to their horrible fate: the slaughterhouse. This time its passengers were 1,000 broiler chickens. 46 could be saved, and 30 of them are sleeping in Gaia Sanctuary right now. They have plenty of space, but they’ve chosen to sleep like this, all together.
Some neighbors from nearby houses took advantage of the accident and several chickens ended up in their hands. They just killed them right there and took their bodies home. The truck drivers did the same. They laughed at the activists. “We’re hungry too”. One of the neighbors snatched one of the rescue chickens from their hands, just like that. It was a nightmare.
Imagine how different things would have been if this truck had carried dogs. Imagine the petitions, the protests, the outrage, the tears, the judgment. But who cares about a broiler chicken. Or a thousand.
Tell me again how vegans are the extremist ones.
Go vegan. Everyday. Animal agriculture is the largest cause of global warming, pollution and deforestation. Yes, it’s worse than all the worlds transportation systems combined, and much worse than crop farming. Pro tip: cutting out meat actually reduces the amount of crops farmed as well, as much less grains will be needed to feed livestock.
You know what?
Stop pushing your fucking vegan bullshit beliefs on people.
How is making a post about my beliefs on my blog pushing it on other people? Am I not allowed to blog about what I believe in?
Animal products are pushed in everyones faces everyday and you aren’t yelling at them for pushing their fucking meat eating beliefs on others.
And do YOU know what? I won’t fucking stop. Ever. Because YOU need to know the truth about what you are eating, and why it is cruel, and not environmentally friendly, and why it is unhealthy. So instead of getting personally offended, why don’t you open your mind and do your own research about the harmful affects of animal agriculture. Or don’t and contribute to animal cruelty, and global warming. I can’t force you to stop being ignorant.
This is awesome, because nobody would say shit if you were sharing other tips to be more eco-friendly (the usual “take shorter showers, ride your bike” kind of thing). BUT OH MY GOD, DON’T YOU DARE SUGGEST I SHOULD STOP EATING ANIMAL PRODUCTS. WHAT’S WORSE THAN THE 14-22 PERCENT GREENHOUSE GASES MY DIET PRODUCES? A FUCKING VEGAN PUSHING THEIR BULLSHIT BELIEFS ON PEOPLE.
I’ve often seen people talking in these terms, in one way or another, but I don’t find that veganism is best thought of in terms of number of animals individually saved. I would criticise the use of such points in any discussion about veganism. There are a number of flaws with this mentality, such as:
- Something like this suggests that I’ve saved hundreds of fish and birds, yet even before being vegetarian I couldn’t stand the taste of fish or bird flesh, so even if I weren’t vegan they wouldn’t have been killed for and eaten by me.
- This implies that those who otherwise would have done the most harm, are doing the most good now by being vegan, and those who previously did less harm have done less good by being vegan now.
- It would suggest that to not exploit/harm non-human animals is to do good (saving), rather than to not do bad (the absense of harm).
- This ignores the goal of eliminating speciesism and use/harm of non-human animals, and shifts focus onto personal good.
- Harm done to animals in non-food contexts is often ignored in such counts, or even in the egg/dairy industries.
- If people think in terms of “personal good” then an avid meat eater could potentially do more good by halving their consumption of animal flesh, than someone who dislikes it anyway can by having a vegan diet.
Why rest the significance of veganism on such a flawed and inconsistent concept as number of lives saved by the individual? The important thing is that we are:
- Challenging speciesism
- By only our presence causing people to question their exploitation of non-human animals
- Increasing awareness of non-human animals as deserving of moral consideration
- Increasing awareness of vegan diets
- Increasing demand for easily accessible vegan foods/items
- Decreasing demand for products of animal harm/exploitation**
- Spreading veganism
- Challenging the concept of “happy exploitation”
- Being morally consistent
Those are the things that move us towards real change.
** I know a lot of focus is put on this point, but I think it’s no more than one part of what veganism does to enact real change. If you only focus of voting with your dollar, then it ignores those types of harm in which no money exchanges hands.
I said I hate to drive. They said yes because you never do it, you don’t have enough experience. Like no. Driving gives me anxiety. I hate it. I’m scared of it.
I don’t hate it because I never do it
I never do it because I hate it.
My ex sister-in-law is proud of her one-and-a-half-year-old daughter because she ate “like a big girl” today.
That means she ate pig.
This is depressing.
yes i love animals
no i won’t go veganRight? I’ve raised my dog from a puppy, I love her, she’ll be 9 this month. It’s finally time to slaughter her for her meat. I’ve given her a good, long life, and obviously I’ll respect every part of her that I use.
YOU SIR PISS ME SO MUCH OFF WHY WOULD YOU EAT A DOG ANYWAY
Why wouldn’t you eat a dog if you would eat a pig? What’s the difference?
THE DIFFERENCE IS THE TASTE?????????????????
???????? also you raise a dog to be your pet, not food???????????
What if you raise a pig to be your pet???????? What if you live in a different country where dogs are raised to be food????????? What if you raise any animal to be your pet but at the end of their life you eat them anyway???????? What if your dog turns into a pig and a pig turns into your dog??????????? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!
What if you simply challenge what society has taught you and stop normalizing eating and using sentient beings and their secretions for cultural and taste reasons so that they stop being mass breed, abused and killed by the billions by human hand before this planet collapses?
In the meantime, meet Shmuel.